Fitout Day 8

20130317-190552.jpg

A reasonably productive day. Up at 8 with the sunshine (we really should fit the curtains!) after a cup of tea we started assembling the innards of the IKEA large cabinet we’d put together yesterday. This was a fairly convoluted task, as this corner cabinet has two shelves that via an arrangement of hinges and slides can be pulled around the corner and out into the kitchen, making use of the “dead” space.

Simon came around to drop off a few bits and pieces- the half inch gas fittings, ready (when new olives are added) to be used again where possible. He also dropped off the Paloma water heater, and lent us a set of pipe benders.

We retired to ASDA at 11am for a planning meeting over a cooked breakfast, and on our return cracked on with mounting the Paloma.

There is one section of the roof, 5 inches from the bulkhead, that has a cutout in the wood tongue and groove of the old cabin skin for the water heater flue to exit. However the steel over it hasn’t yet been cut, and we decided to save that job for a less rainy day! Drilling holes in the roof is quite momentous, and so we wanted to ensure we had the flue kit and Sikaflex ready to install it properly and prevent any drips.

Before we could mount the Paloma, we had to prepare the plywood bulkhead. We thought about painting it, but decided to bite the bullet and cut a panel from the supply of varnished oak ply to match the cabin sides of the boat. After measuring carefully several times, we marked up a sheet that had been water damaged at the bottom, and cut out the trapezium shaped piece to fit between our wall cupboard and the cabin side. Although the edges weren’t millimetre perfect, we’ll use some oak strips, stained to match the others, to edge around it and neaten up the edges. It’s not a bad job, though, and it matches the other panels nicely.

Once at was done, we made a set of wooden mounts for the Paloma. It needed to hang three inches further forwards for the flue to match the hole. An elegant solution might have been to move the bulkhead forwards again, but the radiator on the corridor side prevented this.

So we screwed on two vertical battens onto the bulkhead, and put a couple of horizontal strips across to mount the Paloma’s attachment points to. It took an age to get the mounting point at the bottom attached, because one of the screws had the posidrive head graunch up, so it had to be laboriously unscrewed with mole grips.

Eventually we changed tack and used some M6 bolts and washers instead to attach it. We’ll have to remove it when we fit the flue, and so wanted an attachment system that would work with this.

Once the Paloma was in the right place, I could get on with the plumbing. I’m using copper pipe for the feeds to the Paloma as it’ll be visible above the work top, and so I had fun trying to bend single lengths of copper to shape. I couldn’t quite easily make it work, so made short lengths with bends in to line up with the outlet and inlet on the Paloma, and used other lengths of pipe and two compression joining pieces to connect these to the cold and hot pipes under the gunwale. Not as elegant as a single length of unjointed copper, so they may one day be replaced.

I ran pipes through into the bathroom and blanked off the ends temporarily, so we’ll be able to use the water system before the bathroom is fitted.

I also ran a pipe along the bulkhead to the corridor, and put a stop cock on the end. This will be accessible through a small access hatch, and with a length of hose attached, will make draining the water system down for leaving the boat unattended in winter a lot easier, as this runs from the lowest point in the cold water system. I plan on running a similar pipe from the hot water side, after the Paloma, to make draining that down equally easy. It should be easy to put the hose into a bowl, open the stopcock, and drain it all down- that’s the plan, anyway!

20130317-190540.jpg

We finished off a few other little jobs, like running 12v cables to the cutout under the front step where the water pump will be fitted, and headed off to catch the Rail replacement bus (dreaded words!) to Nottingham and back to the Duck.

Advertisements
Categories: Fitout, Uncategorized | 4 Comments

Post navigation

4 thoughts on “Fitout Day 8

  1. Why not consider venting the Paloma via a mushroom vent rather than a “Geyser Chimney”? Two reasons

    1) Looks better

    2) (and vitally) it’s much less likely to foul a tree, bridge or tunnel and suffer loss or damage – With the chimneys down it’ll pretty much be the highest point on the boat.

  2. Nev

    We have a fixed open mushroom vent for our Paloma on Percy, looks better and as Ray suggests less likely to get damaged.

    Nev

  3. Simon

    I have have missed something, but is the Paloma a ‘new’ addition to the boat? I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but do make sure the installation will get through BSC – I wasn’t even allowed to love my existing Morco flue, and once ‘removed’ on BSC records wouldn’t be able to reinstall – very few gas water heaters met BSC regs for new installations when I looked into it.

    Do feel free to delete this comment, I hope I’m wrong and am not the bearer of bad news…

  4. Simon

    now that’s a typo – ‘move’ not ‘love’!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: