There is another Severn and Canal boat moored at Langley Mill, only this one s even rarer than Willow… And significantly older, being built in 1907.
When first built by Severn and Canal at Stourport in 1907, it was a wooden horse drawn boat called Bath. However, by the late 1920s, Severn and Canal wanted to modernise their fleet and, inspired by the motorboats that had been run by Cadbury’s and themselves, they set about converting several horseboats into motorboats with 15hp Bollinder semi diesel engines.
Bath was converted in July 1929, and was renamed Motor Number 7.
After carrying for S&CCCo, it was sold in 1948 to Thomas Clayton’s of Oldbury, for the grand sum of £1400. Clayton’s converted it into a tar boat, fitting the forecabin and decking over the hold to create a series of tanks to hold bulk liquids, like Spey and other tar boats.
Faulkner, A. H., Severn & Canal and Cadburys, Robert Wilson, Rothwell 1981.
Faulkner, A. H., “Severn & Canal”, NarrowBoat Summer 2006, pp. 12-19.